23 April – Cogenhoe 2 Deeping Rangers 1

Deeping Rangers Reserves and Cogenhoe Reserves faced each other for the third time this season in the Eagle Bitter United Counties Resrve League Cup Final at Thrapston Town FC. The first half ended goal less with both sides carving out chances but not making a break through. The second half started and within a minute Cogenhoe were in front, and on the hour mark they were 2 – 0 up. Rangers then started a spirited fight back and on 65 minutes they were denied a clear cut penalty. The ball was handled by a Cogenhoe player in their goal area and went off behind the goal. The Referee pointed for a corner, but his assistant flagged for a hand ball. The referee consulted with his assistant and then over ruled him to award a corner to the dismay of the Deeping bench and fans. On 70 minutes Phil Jarman made his first substitution when he took off Gareth Woods and brought on Ciarron Reynolds. This change had an immediate effect, and for the last 20 minutes Deeping were the better team. On 72 minutes Rangers won a corner and John Armstrong rose above the rest of the players to head the ball into the back of the net. With the deficit reduced to one goal Deeping pushed forward looking for an equaliser. Tom Benjamin was put through one on one with the Cogenhoe keeper, but he dived to smother the ball at the Deeping strikers feet. With 5 minutes remaining Rangers made theri second change taking off Eliot Dempsey and bringing on Ryan Hunnings. In spite of maintaining pressure on the Cogenhoe defence Deeping were unable to break through and for the second time in three years they were runners up on the day.

Deeping Rangers: Jamie Lowndes, Gareth Woods (Ciarron Reynolds 70 mins), Justin Parr, Andy Bailey, Mark Burbridge, Wayne Oldaker, Dan Jarman, Steven Colangelo, Tom Benjamin, John Armstrong, Eliot Dempsey (Ryan Hunnings 85 mins). Subs not used: Matt Ayliff, Callum Owen, Robbie Virgin.

7 April – Bourne Town Res. 0 Deeping Rangers Res 3

This was an entertaining local derby fought out on a hot day and a hard pitch at the Abbey Lawn. Rangers started the game straight on the attack, but it took 25 minutes before they created a real scoring chance. Steven Colangelo held off two Bourne players to pass the ball across the Wakes goal, but Wayne Oldaker only managed to hit the bar with an open goal beckoning Two minutes later Deeping forward Tom Benjamin was brought down in the Bourne penalty area and the referee pointed straight at the spot. Wayne Oldaker stepped up for the spot kick and sent the Bourne keeper the wrong way to score his first of the game. Oldaker claimed his second seven minutes later. He picked the ball up in his own half, and running forward passed the ball to John Armstrong on the right wing. Oldaker continued in to the Bourne penalty box and Armstrong completed the old one two with a return pass onto the head of Oldaker which he propelled into the goal. Tom Benjamin should have made it 3 – 0 when he was put through on goal and lost his marker, but he played the ball to far forward and it was gathered up by the keeper. Five minutes into the second half Rangers had a scare when Jamie Lowndes failed to clear a back pass properly and the ball only travelled as far as the nearest Bourne player. With only the keeper to beat the ball flew over the Deeping bar. On 58 minutes Tom Liberatore had a good chance for Deeping but his effort went wide. Bourne were straight on the counter attack and were soon up the other end where their no 9 had a similar chance but he put the ball just wide. Two minutes later Lowndes did well to leap high and tip the ball over the bar with one hand to deny Bourne a goal.Rangers then made a substitution, taking off Tom Benjamin and bringing on Luke Avis. On 65 minutes Deeping extended their lead when John Armstrong flicked the ball over the Bourne back line for Steven Colangelo to run through and slot the ball past the keeper. Three minutes later Colangelo nearly claimed a second with a single handed effort. He held off his marker and ran into the Bourne penalty box. The Wakes keeper did well to palm his shot over the bar. On 70 minutes Rangers made another substitution. This time John Armstrong came off and was replaced by Ryan Hunnings. Three minutes later Luke Avis hit the Bourne bar with a looping shot. On 82 minutes Deeping made their final substitution. Matt Ayliff joined the fray, replacing Steven Colangelo. In spite of their efforts neither side could make any further breakthrough and Deeping claimed all three points with a fine 3 – 0 win.

Deeping Rangers: James Lowndes, Gareth Woods, Tom Liberatore, Mark Burbridge, Andy Chapman, Wayne Oldaker, Dan Jarman, Steven Colangelo (Matt Ayliff) Tom Benjamin (Luke Avis), John Armstrong (Ryan Hunnings), Scott Cunningham. Subs not used: James Hindle, Callum Owen.


4th April 2007 – Deeping Rangers Reserves – currently 4th in their league – beat Norhampton Spencer Reserves – currently 2nd – by 3 goals to 0 in their League Cup semi final.

10 February 2007 – Raunds Reserves 0 Deeping Rangers 3

A solid display gave Rangers the double over Raunds. Deeping opened their account with their second foray forward, Scott Cunningham touched on for Dan Jarman to shrug off a challenge and drive home after three minutes. On 33 minutes a driven Jarman corner found Oldaker who bravely headed the ball goalwards, enabling a determined Justin Parr to stab home from close range. Expecting the home side to push on in the second period, Rangers restricted Raunds to long balls. Midway through the second half, having been denied by the linesman’s flag earlier, Cunningham lost his marker to secure the win. Rangers boss Phil Jarman said: “It was a joy to watch”.

Rangers: Jamie Lowndes, Justin Parr, Mark Burbridge, James Hindle (Steve Haynes), Matt Ayliff, James Stubbs, Wayne Oldaker, Dan Jarman, Luke Avis, John Armstrong, Scott Cunningham.

13 January 2007 – Deeping Rangers Reserves 1 Raunds Town Resreves 0

Deeping leap frogged their opponents in the league with this win at Outgang Road played in blustery conditions. Raunds started the game playing with the wind and soon had Deeping pinned back in their own half. There was an early scare when the Shopmates hit the Rangers bar in the 8th minute. With the wind against them Deeping struggled early on to get out of their half, but they defended resolutely and gradually turned the tide and fought back into the game. On 38 minutes Rangers won a corner and the ball was delivered into the Raunds goal area. It bounced off various heads, including a goal line clearance, before an opening was found by Dan Jarman who headed the ball into the top corner with the keeper stranded off his line. In the second half Deeping played with the wind behind them. Raunds responded by getting the ball down and playing with it at thier feet. Neither side could create any real clear cut chances as the game progressed. The game was delayed for about 10 minutes when a Raunds player was injured and had to be stretchered off, but thankfully nothing was broken and it was not to serious. Rangers made a substitution on 81 minutes when Mark Burbridge was brought on in place of James Hindle. Deeping held on to the single goal lead to take all 3 points in this lacklustre game.

Deeping Rangers: Robbie Virgin, Justin Parr, Matt Ayliff, James Hindle (Mark Burbridge 81 mins), Andy Bailey, Wayne Oldaker, Dan Jarman, Luke Avis, Steve Colangelo, John Armstrong, Scott Cunningham. Subs not use: James Trigg, Nicky Butler, Nick Grayson, Jamie Lowndes.

30 December 2006 – Deeping Rangers Res 7 Holbeach United Res 2

Deeping Rangers second string progressed to the semi-finals of the United Counties Football League Reserve League Cup by finishing top of their group with this convincing win over their local rivals. The match was played in atrocious conditions with the rain getting worse as the game progressed. Deeping showed their credentials as early as the 2nd minute when Tom Liberatore tapped the ball in to the Holbeach goal following a Rangers corner. Five minutes later Deeping should have doubled their score when Steven Colangello crossed for Armstrong to nod in but he missed the ball. The first half continued in this vain with Rangers dominating play and creating chances. On 9 minutes the ball was bundled in to the Holbeach net by their keeper following a Deeping corner to make it 2 – 0. Armstrong opened his account after 20 minutes when he was put through one on one with the Holbeach custodian and slotted the ball home. Ten minutes later Armstrong claimed his second in the same way to give the hosts a 4 – 0 lead. The action in the first half was not over and on 35 minutes Colangello rounded the visiting keeper to put the ball in to the open net to make it 5 – 0 at the break. Holbeach came out after the break determined to get back in to the game and fought through to the final whistle. On 50 minutes Holbeach pulled a goal back when a shot went through a melee of players legs and into the Deeping net. Rangers hit back straight away and 2 minutes later Armstrong claimed his hat-trick from close quarters. Holbeach continued to try to break down the Rangers defence in the deteriorating conditions and were rewarded with a second goal on 62 minutes. Armstrong was not finished with scoring and on 80 minutes when a Colangello shot rebounded off the Holbeach keeper it fell straight to the Deeping front man to claim his 4th of the day and to make the final score 7 – 2.

9 Dec 2006 Deeping Rangers Reserves 2 S & L Corby Reserves 1

The third encounter between these two competitive sides saw Deeping gain their second victory against the current league leaders. This was not a game for the faint hearted as a few tough challenges and individual battles filled this end-to-end fixture. Deeping dominated the opening half and on chances should have taken a comfortable lead going in for the break. However the scores were level at one-apeice, John Armstrong latching a Scott Cunningham cross to stab the ball home on 18 minutes. The challenge on Cunningham saw him leave the ground on crutches following the game. Several good scoring opportunities went begging before Corby equalised 10 minutes before half time. It came from a bit of defensive hesitation which enabled an S & L forward to evade on-rushing goalkeeper Jamie Lowndes and find the net. Man of the match Lowndes again produced an outstanding performance throughout this fixture, denying the visitors with a series of excellent saves. With Cunningham’s enforced withdrawal, Chad Millar entered the fray, linking well with Armstrong and Steven Colangelo as Deeping began a series of probing attacks on the visiting defence. The Wayne Oldaker and Dan Jarman midfield combination neutralised theri Corby opponants and the game shifted in Deeping’s favour. After a couple of half chances, Millar got on the score sheet, striking home with his left foot from a tight angle. A highlight of the game was the excellent contribution from debutant Justin Parr, with his strength and vocal encouragement. S & L were reduced to 10 men when a player got his second yellow card. Rangers boss Phil Jarman said: “We thoroughly deserved this victory. They failed to intimidate us and we rose above it and got our rewards.”

18 Nov 2006 – Deeping Rangers Reserves 3 Thrapston town Reserves 2

Deeping Rangers played Thrapston Town Reserves in the Eagle Bitter United Counties Reserve League Cup needing a win to maintain their push for a semi-final place. At the start of the match Deeping were 4 point behind leaders Blackstones, who have a better goal difference, with 2 games left to play. A win was therefore a necessity. Thrapston Town started the game without a win in this competition. Rangers dominated the first half and should have gone in at the break with 4 or 5 goals. Deeping opened the scoring on 7 minutes. A Dan Jarman shot ricoched off one post and then the other without crossing the line. Luke Avis reacted quickest to the loose ball and bundled it over the line. Rangers’ second goal came on 20 minutes from Stubbs. The hosts continued to create chances throughout the first half but could not find the net. The Thrapston goalkeeper keeping Deeping at bay on more than one occasion. The second half started with Thrapston making 2 enforced changes including the keeper. Early in the half Rangers were also forced to make a change when a Thrapston player went through the legs of Stephen Colangelo instead of playing the ball, resulting in a yellow card. Rangers were a different team after the break. Thrapston started to dominate and grew with confidence as the half progressed. Midway through the half they pulled a goal back and 5 minutes later the scores were equal. In spite of their new found confidence Thrapston could not find a winner and Deeping continued to defend whilst looking for a chink in the opposition. The opening came on 80 minutes when Avis scored his second of the night to give Rangers the win they needed. To progress to the last 8 in this competition Deeping now need to beat Holbeach in the last game of the group section.

11 November – Deeping Rangers Reserves 0 Stotfold Reserves 1

Deeping’s first defeat in five games saw their unblemished record dashed by a worthy Stotfold outfit. Highlight of the fixture was the continued excellent form of goalkeeper Jamie Lowndes, who denied the visitors at least five occasions with some fine blocking and handling. Creative wing play from young Luke Avis saw him leave stranded Stotfold players in his wake with some crafty footwork. Dan Jarman had a goal disallowed for handball for Rangers then Steven Colangelo had a bending shot thwarted by the visiting custodian’s upright. Prior to Stotfold’s winner, midway through the second half, Jarman was brought down in the area but the referee waved away penalty appeals. Under 18 player Nicky Butler came on for the final 20 minutes. Manager Phil Jarman said “It was difficult conditions. The visitors probably edged it but I’m sure we will bounce back.

4 November – S&L Corby Reserves 2 Deeping Rangers Reserves 3

Three decisive moments settled this feisty League Cup encounter at Corby’s Occupation Road. A penalty, a free kick and an outstanding save were the crucialingredients of this close encounter between two sides not willing to fold easily. An experimental line-up that included a returning Andy Chapman and new signing, Ben Harris, outplayed the Corby side for the majority of this fixture. Again conceding against the run of play in the opening half, Deeping felt confident at the break to turn this fixture round in the second period. A tactical switch after 10 minutes of the second period, reverting to a more familiar formation,enabled Dan Jarman to use his strength and pace to charge into the Corby box, a desperate tackle, foul and penalty awarded. Wayne Oldaker coolly placed the ball into the corner. Within two minutes, another foul and an excellent official in Steve Beswick allowed a quick free kick, which gave Oldaker the opportunity to put the ball into a gaping space, while the home defence were still getting organised. A fierce debate ensued between the home contingent and the referee, goal awarded and Deeping were justly rewarded for the heavy-handed tactics of the homeside.The third decisive moment came minutes later, pressure from Corby, another direct free-kick just outside the Deeping area and a fierce strike headed towards the far bottom corner. Jamie Lowndes produced an oustanding one-handed save, launching his generous frame towards the far post and edging the ball round the post with his fingertips. The corner was defended and Deeping once again took the initiative, within the next couple of forrays into the Corby rearguard, a sublime move involving four one-touch passes gave Harris the chance to stroke the ball home past the diving ‘keeper. The final 15 minutes saw Deeping go close and with a everybody looking at their watches, Corby pegged a goal back. This victory on the road at a difficult venue showed that Deeping can also mix it as well as play attractive football. Deeping manager, Phil Jarman said, “We showed a lot of spirit on the day, it wasn’t a game for the squeamish, a few unsavioury challenges were flying in, an excellent referee allowed us to play football and was not intimidated when others might have given in. Some quality performances on the day, it was good to have Andy Chapman back, his partnership with Andy Bailey was resolute throughout.”

Squad: Jamie Lowndes, Andy Chapman, Matt Holland, Andy Bailey, Gareth Woods (Ryan Asher-Powell), Wayne Oldaker, Dan Jarman, Luke Avis, Ben Harris, John Armstrong, Scott Cunningham (Steven Colangelo). Subs Not Used: Steve Haynes.

Yaxley 1 v 1 Deeping Rangers

Following the recent League Cup defeat to local rivals Yaxley, a creditable point would appear to be a good result for the Rangers second string. But many of the Deeping staff involved on Saturday came away from Leading Drove with disappointment. Fielding a much stronger team, Deeping concede against the run of play midway through the opening half. Pushing forward, the visitors lost possession in midfield leaving the defence exposed, the home side slotting home from close range. A quickfire double just before the break, saw John Armstrong get his second in two games with a close-range header and Steven Colangelo giving Deeping the lead in time added on. Yaxley’s expected response didn’t materialise and several opportunities went begging that would have sealed three valuable points for Deeping. But a late flourish from the home side saw the introduction of two lively substitutes and in the closing minutes a Yaxley freekick split the Deeping wall and levelled the score. Adding to Deeping’s disappointment, James Stubbs was issued with a straight red for comments to the referee after the equaliser. Manager Phil Jarman said: “Considering our previous meeting, where we didn’t really turn up, a point would appear to be a good result, but we all felt deflated at not taking all three on the day. We have got to learn to remain focused for a full 90 minutes. Squad: Jamie Lawndes, Tom Liberatore (James Hindle), Matt Holland, Andy Bailey, Gareth Woods, James Stubbs, Wayne Oldaker, Luke Avis, John Armstrong, Steven Colangelo, Chad Millar (Scott Cunningham). Subs not used: Ryan Asher-Powell and Robbie Virgin.

Northampton Spenser Reserves 1 Deeping Rangers Reserves 0

Yet another late goal consigned Rangers’ second string to defeat on their travels. Deeping dominated against a team who were unbeaten before this game kicked off. Spencers’s scoring opportunities were admirably dealt with by returning custodian Jamie Lowndes. Again the midfield trio of Gary Roddis, Wayne Oldaker and Luke Avis took control of midfield, passing the ball excellently and moving well off the ball to keep the home side on the back foot for most of the 90 minutes. Spencer scrambled a goal with 9 minutes on the watch to the disappointment of the Rangers players and management team. Manager Phill Jarman criticised the performance of one of the assistant referees provided by Spencer. He said “Luke Avis hammered the ball in the net after a late run into the box and nobody could believe it when the referee disallowed it”

Deeping: Lowndes, Ruscillo, Burbridge, Bailey (Woods), Armstrong, J Stubbs (Holland), Liberatore, Cunningham (Colangelo), Oldaker, Roddis, Avis. Unused sub: A Stubbs.

Ford Sports Reserves 3 Deeping Rangers Reserves 2

Getting caught by the sucker punch at the death left Deeping Reserves with a deflated feeling. Rangers were level at half-time 2 – 2 after twice levelling in a first half which swung like a pendulum. A headed goal from midfielder Dan Jarman and a close range header from midfield dynamo Gary Roddis kept Deeping in the game as the teams turned around. The visitors dominated and squandered a number of chances before a lapse in concentration saw a home forward sneak in unmarked to glance in from close range past goalkeeper Ali Stubbs with just three minutes left Deeping’s dominance of this away fixture and their variety of attacking opportunities left the players and management more than disappointed at not taking anything from the long journey to Daventry. Unfortunately, the home custodian was made to resemble a world-class goalkeeper due to a lack of accuracy and power in the box. Numerous shorts were on target but lacked conviction to find the net. A feature of the game was the unfortunate withdrawal of new signing Andy Chapman midway through the opening half with an achilles injury. Further strains and knocks meant several players limped from the field following the game. Highlights for Deeping were the contnued progress of Luke Avis, out on the flank, who created openings for the forwards, along with the nidfield trio of Wayne Oldaker, Roddis and Jarman, who all worked tirelessly for 90 minutes. Manager Phil Jarman said afterwards: “I was extremely disappointed for the lads, who worked their socks off during the game. At the time, a draw seemed unjust, then to concede with a minute remaining was a real blow

23 Sept, Peterborough Northern Star Reserves 1 v 2 Deeping Rangers Reserves

Rangers dominated this UCL League Cup group stage game and should have won by a bigger margin. They failed to convert some good approach play. Northern Star made a game of it in the final 5 minutes after pulling a goal back but Rangers deservedly came through. Deeping went two-up with very well worked goals – first half strikes from Steve Colangelo and Luke Avis, both followed exquisite passing through the home defence. This fixture enabled Deeping to field returning former first team defender Dan Ruscillo and first team regulars Tom Liberatore and Gary Roddis. The latter stood out from all 22 players as man of the match. His ball winning, aerial dominance and energy inspired those around him. Deeping used the flanks well during the opening half, but resumed the second period with a less effective, more direct approach, which frustrated the forwards into creating their own luck around the box. Manager Phil Jarman said: “After the previous week’s nine-goal thriller, this was a bit of a reality check and has given the management team something to work on in training. A convincing odd goal victory sounds strange, but a little more c omposure and communication around the box would have resulted in a much higher strike rate.”

Deeping Rangers: Stubbs, Liberatore, Holland, Ruscillo, Burbridge, Stubbs, Roddis, Avis (Asher-Powell), Jarman, Colangelo, Younis Tajer, (Armstrong). Unused subs: Hindle, Vaughan.

16 Sept. Deeping Rangers Reserves 6 Desborough Reserves 3

Taken straight from the scripts of Roald Dahl and his Tales of the Unexpected, this nine-goal thriller was pure entertainment. This bizarre game sprang to life in the opening seconds when Deeping’s first foray into the Desborough territory produced a goal as Dan Jarman’s driven effort goalwards was helped past the stranded goalkeeper by a defender’s head. Chances were created at both ends by some excellent open play and it was the visitors who squared things on 17 minutes with a close range effort. Six minutes later, James Stubbs reinstated Deeping’s lead, following good pressure. A goal avalanche then arrived just before half time, Younis Tajer slotting home from a tight angle and then a quick double from Jarman. His free-kick from a full 30 yards was thundered past the wall into the roof of the net, following a distracting step and within a minute Jarman added to his goal tally as he connected with a Tajer cross to divert the ball home. Deeping were wrong in thinking it was all over at the break as Ar Tarn were first to strike in the second period with an excellent free-kick. Again, another two goals came in two minutes – the first for the visitors on the hour mark and then another bit of free-kick magic, this time from Oldaker who bent his kick up and over the wall

16 Sept. Yaxley Reserves 2 Deeping Rangers Reserves 0

Rangers lost this opening Reserve League Cup clash after turning in their weakest performance of the campaign so far. Few passes found a claret shirt, there was a lack of energy and, in some cases, enthusiasm for the game. Yaxley also happened to be the best footballing side the reserves have faced this season. Their youthful squad didn’t allow the visitors to settle and play their passing game. A fluke goal broke the deadlock shortly after the interval, when a cross eluded everybody and deflected into the goal via the far upright. The second was a shot drilled home after a pacy run. Deeping Manager Phil Jarman said: “You can sometimes compensate for the odd player being out of sorts, but when five or six fail to turn up and perform things are not easy.”

2 Sept. Deeping Rangers 4 Sileby Rangers Reserves 0

A solid team performance secured a second successive victory for the Deeping Reserve side. Coping with the blustery conditions with panache, the home side outplayed the visitors from Northampton for a good proportion of this League 1 encounter. Missing last week’s hat-trick hero, Scott Cunningham due to family committments, gave a starting opportunity to young Liam Palmer, now looking back to his scoring best after last season’s injury set-back. The Under-18 forward grabbed a brace with style, both strikes hit home on the volley either side of the break. Provider for three of the four goals, was midfielder, Dan Jarman who rose in the box to head down for Luke Avis to crash home, a second half in-swinging corner for Andy Bailey to force over the line and a neat chip for Palmer’s second. The growing confidence of Steve Colangelo and Avis on either flank caused the visiting defence numerous problems, along with another solid performance from Wayne Oldaker at the heart of midfield. Bailey and fellow centre-back Gareth Woods coped with the tricky Sileby strikeforce, reducing their attempts to half chances, prior to Deeping opening theiraccount, a clear chance was wasted by one of the Sileby forwards who was through on goal, only to blastthe ball wide. Jamie Lowndes in the Deeping goal was unlucky not to add to the score, when a free-kick just in the Deeping half evaded the target in the closing stages.

Squad: Jamie Lowndes, Glenn Vaughan, Matt Holland,Gareth Woods (Steve Haynes), Andy Bailey, WayneOldaker, Dan Jarman, Luke Avis (James Stubbs), John Armstrong, Liam Palmer (James Hindle), StevenColangelo. Subs Not Used: Ali Stubbs and Ryan Asher Powell.

Aug 26th – Deeping Rangers Res 6 Whitworth Res 1

Ranger’s second string ran riot in the second half of this home league game after Scott Cunningham’s solo effort gave them the lead at half time. Wide players Steve Colangelo and Zak Loader provided pace to the attack while central pairing Wayne Oldaker and Dan Jarman supported the front two at every opportunity. Cunningham went on to claim a hat-trick after a fine display, linking up well with target man John Armstrong. A fine finish from Oldaker and a solo effort from Jarman accounted for two of the other three goals. The other was scored by substitute Liam Palmer who netted with his first touch after he joined the action. Whitworths Reserves managed a consolation. There was a welcome league return for Jamie Lowndes between the sticks for Rangers. Some of his huge kicks downfield helped to switch play in seconds and put the visiting defence on the back foot. Manager Phil Jarman said: “It was a very satisfying, but suprising, result after a tight first half. Everyone played their part on the day to earn the victory.”

Aug 19th – S & L Corby Res 1 Deeping Rangers Res. 0

The Corby side won this League opener with a 30 yard pile-driver shortly after the interval. Deeping goalkeeper Ali Stubbs had no chance with the shot. The result was rough on Rangers after they put up a battling performance. The first 45 minutes was a fairly even affair, with S & l packing midfield and not allowing Rangers time to get the ball down and play. The result was too many long balls from the visiting rearguard, bypassing the creative midfield and wide players and allowing the home defence to gain the initiative. Deeping pushed forward in searcgh of an equaliser and they were unlucky not to find one. Scott Cunningham hit the bar, Liam Palmer fizzed a header past the upright and a couple of of neat saves maintained the slender S & L lead. Manager Phil Jarman said: “It’s disappointing for us not to at least shared the spoils.It would have been a fair result on the day. All the players were asked to give 100% and they responded. It just wasn’t to be on the day. It’s a tough place to visit any time in the season.”

Pre Season Friendly – Deeping Rangers Reserves 3 Hampton 2

Deeping Rangers Reserves finished their pre-season fixtures with a home game against Hampton at Outgang Road. The visitors were quick to take the lead when a nasty deflection of a defender gave Danny Bircham no chance in the 10th minute. The lead was short lived however as 6 minutes later John Armstrong equalised for the hosts, and 3 minutes later they were in front curtosy of Armo again when he jumped higher than the Hampton keeper to put the ball in the net. Hampton were quick to respond and on 22 minutes they got their second to equalise. The scoring was not over as Dan Jarman reclaimed the lead for Rangers a minute later. Both teams made numerous changes in the second half, which saw the Deeping First Team Manager Tuncay Korkmaz turning out in mid-field for the Reserves, but neither side could find the net. Late in the game Hampton nearly scored an equaliser when the ball rebounded of the goal bar.

Season 2005/06

1 April – Deeping Rangers Res. 2 Newport Pagnell Res. 1

Rangers started this match at Outgang Road playing into the stiff breeze. On 18 minutes Andy Ellis was brought down in the Pagnell penalty area and Reg Parker had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. The spot kick was well taken by Wayne Oldaker to put the hosts in front. Few chances were created in the first half by either team. Newport Pagnell resorted to playing long balls down the middle of the park assisted by the wind and then chasing the ball down. They could not however find a way past the Deeping rear guard and Rangers went in 1 – 0 up at the break. Deeping kicked off the second half and Wayne Oldaker tried to use the wind advantage by shooting straight at goal from the centre spot. His shot went wide for a Newport Pagnell goal kick. On the hour mark the visitors were awarded a penalty, and the ball was shot into the bottom right corner of the net to level the scores.Ten minutes later Newport Pagnell made a double substitution as they went in search of another goal. It was the hosts who managed to score next however when Andy Ellis ran into the Pagnell penalty area and unleashed his shot into the bottom corner of the goal to give Rangers the lead. Mac Paget then made a double substitutioin for Deeping sending on two strikers Ash Phillips and Dean Tarrant for Tony Wooding and Dan Jarman. Both teams continued to battle against the windy conditions but very few chances were created. With 10 minutes to go Deeping made another substitution when Under 18’s player Joe Taylor went on for James Burchett. Both sides failed to create any clear cut chances in the last 10 minutes of the game, and with a 2 – 1 win it was a good 3 points for Mac Paget’s team.

Deeping Rangers: John Feetham, James Burchett (Joe Taylor), Andy Bailey, Mark Burbridge, Matt Holland, Chris Ray, Dave Vara, Dan Jarman (Dean Tarrant) , Andy Ellis, Tony Wooding (Ash Phillips), Wayne Oldaker. Sub not used Glenn Vaughan.

12 March -Deeping hoped to consolidate their third position in the league by completing the double over Cogenhoe.During the first half Rangers had 75% of ball possession and delivered quality balls from corners and set pieces but could not find the net due to poor finishing. Just before half time Deeping were hit with a soft goal after a Cogenhoe player ran 15 yards unchallenged before slotting the ball past Andy Waller. In the second half Deeping’s Joe Taylor was given his senior debut having stepped up from the Under 18’s when he replaced Gareth Wyatt on the hour. Cogenhoe extended their lead with ten minutes remaining and shortly afterwards Rangers were forced to reshuffle the side when Andy Waller had to be substituted with a knee injury. He was replaced between the sticks by Dan Jarman with Peter Hall going on. In spite of continuing to create chances Deeping could not make a breakthrough and deep in to stoppage time Cogenhoe scored their third goal to take all three points.

25 February – Desborough Town Reserves 4 Deeping Rangers Reserves 4

School boy defending errors caused Deeping to lose two points at Desborough as they looked for revenge from earlier in the season. Mac Paget had to shuffle the pack and move Dan Jarman in to goal as Andy Waller was unavailable. Deepings hero from the mid-week U’18’s game, Steve Colangelo was also given his first run out for the Reserves linking up with his fellow U18 team mate Liam Palmer in attack.Deeping started the game playing against the wind and up the slope. As early as the fourth minutes the hosts sholud have taken the lead but their player shot wide. On 10 minutes Steve Colangelo ran into the Desborough penalty area with the ball, passed to the waiting Liam Palmer who hit a weak shot that was still spilled by the Desborough keeper. Unfortunately there was no Deeping player on hand to pounce on the loose ball. On 21 minutes Rangers won a corner which was delivered by Martin Watts kicking the ball along the ground through the crowded penalty area. Liam Palmer picked up the stray ball and passed it back into the box for the waiting Colangelo to score.Two minutes later Watts added his name to the score sheet when he lobbed the ball over the Desborough keeper for his first goal of the season. Ten minutes later the hosts reduced the deficite with only their second chance of the game. On 34 minutes Deeping won another corner and this was again despatched by Watts and this time the ball was met by the head of Wayne Oldaker who directed his shot straight at the keeper. A minute before half time Colangelo got his second of the match and his fifth goal in two games as Deeping restored the 2 goal advantage. The visitors had dominated the first half and out played Desborough in all departments and went in at the break deservedly in front. The hosts hit Deeping with a sucker punch when they scored within a minute of the restart. On 60 minutes Mark Burbridge passed the ball back to Chris Ray who should have extended Deepings lead, but his shot went just wide. Six minutes later Oldaker threaded the ball through to Plamer on the half way line who used his speed to slip his marker and with clinical finishing made the score 2 – 4. On 70 minutes Desborough had the ball in the back of the net but the goal was ruled offside. Rangers then made their first substitution when Martin Rogers was sent on for Gareth Wyatt. Five minutes later Desborough scored as they continued their fight back.From the restart Wayne Oldaker shot straight for goal from the centre spot only to be denied by the post. Four minutes later the scores were level Mac Paget then introduced Peter Hall to the game replacing Ryan Asher-Powell, and he promptly got booked for his first tackle. Deeping were unable to make any further headway and the game ended all square at 4 – 4. A disappointing result for Deeping Rangers who should have bagged all 3 points.

Deeping: Dan Jarman, Gareth Wyatt (Martin Rogers), James Hindle, Mark Burbridge, Matt Holland, Wayne Oldaker, Chris Ray, Ryan Asher-Powell (Pete Hall), Steve Colangelo, Liam Palmer, Martin Watts

11 February: Rothwell Town Reserves 2 Deeping Rangers reserves 1

Deeping Rangers and Rothwell Town Reserves lined up for the second week running this time at Home Close. With last weeks meeting ending in a draw there was unfinished business to attend to. The hosts kicked off playing down the slope and the first half produced few chances for either side. Rangers played well to contain Rothwell and worked hard playing up the slope. At half time Mac Paget rallied his troops for the second half fully expecting to win the game. It was Rothwell that scored first on 57 minutes with a shot out of the blue which Andy Waller stood no chance of stopping. Deeping were quick to reply and five minutes later the scores were level with a strike from Ryan Asher-Powell. Rangers then thought they had the game won when an overhead kick from Wayne Oldaker was blasted into the Rothwell net by Dan Jarman. Everybody was suprised to see the linesmans flag raised for what looked like a good goal and the scores remained equal.Seven minutes from time Rothwell scored the winner and in spite of continuing to press forward Deeping could not equalise.

21 January: Deeping Rangers Reserves 4 Northampton Spencer Reserves 1

Wayne Oldacre inspired Deeping to a comfortable victory with a four goal haul over Spencer. Oldacre gave Deeping the lead after 15 minutes with a well taken finish, he then doubled the lead after waltzing through the defence and skipping past the keeper. The visitors pulled back a goal 10 minutes before half time, before Oldacre completed his first half hat-trick moments before the interval.Deeping continued to dominate he second half with Oldacre completeing the scoring with a good finish into the bottom corner on the hour mark.

Deeping: John Feetham, Matt Weston (Gareth Wyatt), Mark Burbridge, Andy Bailey (Matt Holland), James Hindle, Dan Jarman, James Burchett, Wayne Oldacre (Ryan Asher-Powell), Chris Rae, Ash Phillips, Jon Armstrong. Sub not used Andy Waller.

10 January: Raunds Town Res. 1 Deeping Rangers Res 2

A brace of goals from Liam Palmer ensured Deeping Rangers left Kiln Park with all three points as they bounced back from their disappointment at the weekend. A strong wind was blowing straight down the pitch, and Rangers opted to play against the wind in the first half. The game started at a fast pace, and in the 12th minute Liam Palmer raced in towards a loose ball 18 yards out from the Raunds goal, as the vsitors keeper rushed out to meet him. The Deeping player was quickest to react sliding into the ball to push it past the keeper and into the open net, much to the delight of the visiting fans. Liam later admitted that he didn’t even realise he had scored. Playing the rest of the first half against the wind the visitors were pinned back in their own half for large periods of the game. Deeping defended well as a unit, and most of the shots that the home side made were carried over by the strong breeze. Just as it looked like the half was going to end with Deeping in front the visitors made a mistake just outside their own penalty area giving away a freekick when there was no danger. The ball was whipped in and although John Feetham called for the ball it took a nasty deflection off a Rangers defender and into the back of the net. Rangers Manager Mac Paget showed his disappointment in the dressing room at half time in letting the lead slip, and rallied his players for the second half to take advantage of the following wind. The longer the second half progressed the more it looked like Deeping would get a winner and it came in the 75th minute, this time from the head of Liam Palmer. For the remainder of the game Rangers were content to stop their opponents scoring rather than risk being caught on the break as they went forward. At the final whistle Deeping were worth the 3 points and are now well placed in the league for the second half of the season. On Saturday they are away to Wellingborough Whitworths.

12 November: Deeping Rangers Res 2 Ford Sports Res 2

Ford Sports started this game at Outgang Road the stronger and it took the first 10 minutes for the hosts to settle. On 12 minutes Chris Ray passed the ball back from the visitors penalty box to Matt Holland who crossed for Dan Jarman waiting at the far post to put Rangers in front. Two minutes later Deeping doubled their lead when they won a freekick about 22 yards out which was smashed home by Andy Ellis. At this point Rangers were on top and were bossing the game about at will. On the half hour they seemed to go to sleep, and the visitors were allowed to get behind the Deeping defence and score to reduce the deficite. Seven minutes later the scores were level when Ford Sports won an indirect free kick following an Andy Waller hand ball when he caught a back pass. Following the free kick the ball hit the Rangers goal post to go off for a corner. The ball was then whipped in, and whilst Andy saved the first shot the visitors managed to scramble the ball over the line. Just before half time Deeping had a chance to retake the lead when Matt Holland picked the ball up just inside his half and made a solo run to the edge of the Ford Sports penalty area, but his shot went wide.The second half was even with both teams working hard,with a fast tempo and very physical football. On 76 minutes Ryan Asher-Powell was introduced to the game in place of Chris Ray as Deeping pressed for a winner. In the dying minutes Rangers had two good chances with Andy Ellis hitting the post and winning 2 corners in succession. They could not make a breakthrough however and both sides had to settle for a point.

5 November: Deeping Rangers Reserves 1 Bourne Reserves 0

Bourne kicked off this local derby at Outgang Road and for the first 10 minutes the visitors were the better team winning balls in the air as the home side settled. On 13 minutes Rangers won a penalty for hand ball and the spot kick was duly dispatched into the bottom left corner of the Bourne goal by Ash Phillips to give the home side the lead.On 26 minutes Bourne had the ball in the net when a shot rebounded of the Deeping bar in to the feet of Darren Munton whose close range shot beat Andy Waller. However the Bourne player was adjudged to be offside, and the first half ended with Rangers 1 – 0 in front. At the start of the second half the Deeping players were fired up for a Bourne onslaught but it did not materialise. Rangers continued to dominate the game and held on to the ball for long periods.The game finished 1 – 0 and Rangers have now won 3 games on the bounce as well as beating the team at the top of the league.

10 September 2005: S & L Corby Reserves 0 Deeping Rangers Res. 1

An industrious team performance rewarded Deepings second string with three excellent points at S & L Corby. Few teams will visit Occupation Road and come away with anything – the usual resiliant Corby outfit give little, especially at home. Enforced changes necessitated the inclusion for the visitors of, James Burchett coming in to the centre for Wayne Oldaker and young player Tony Wooding taking Andy Ellis’ shirt on the left. Both these players contributed to this hard fought encounter. The initial sparring was even until Deeping began to dominate and forced Corby onto the back foot, playing up the hill. On 25 minutes Ash Phillips broke the deadlock following good possession and passing and moving from Rangers. Throughout the remainder of the first period keeper Andy Waller was rarely troubled for Rangers due to the well organised midfield and defence led by skipper Mark Burbridge. Expecting the onslaught in the second half Deeping defended resolutely, creating chances on the break. The forward thinking Rangers side combined well up front – Ash Phillips, John Armstrong and Dan Jarman linking well. A feisty closing few minutes saw Deeping weather the storm and take the three points.

Deeping Rangers – Andy Waller, Gareth Wyatt, (Graeme Smith) Mark Burbridge, James Hindle, Matt Holland, Chris Ray, James Burchett, Dan Jarman, Tony Wooding, John Armstrong, Ash Phillips, Subs not used – Martin Watts, Alex Brodebank.

2 September 2005 Deeping Rangers Res 4 Sileby Rangers Res 1

Deeping dominated this game from beginning to end as the watching fans were treated to the best football seen at Outgang Road this season. Within the first 10 seconds Andy Ellis should have put the hosts in front but the Sileby keeper managed to save.The action then switched to the other end where the Deeping keeper was beaten but the ball was cleared off the line. The home fans didn’t have to wait long to see their team go ahead, and on 14 minutes Armstrong’s shot breached the Sileby defence to go in the bottom corner of the goal at the far post. On 32 minutes the visitors were back in the game when their no 9 scored against the run of play. He was a strong fast player who caused the Deepings defence problems throughout the game with his speed. The first half ended with the scores even, but in the second half Deeping made their superior strength and fitness count enabling Dan Jarman to go on a goal scoring rampage. Dan claimed his first goal on 47 minutes with a header in at the near post. On 70 minutes the home team won a free kick which Dan Jarman smashed in to the Sileby net for his second of the night, and on 85 minutes he completed his hat trick. Deeping were in total control throughout the second half and with the game finishing 4 – 1 Paget’s Rangers earned their first points of the season.

30 July 2005: Deeping Rangers Reserves 3 v 1 Silver Jubilee

Deeping Rangers Reserves opened their pre-season campaign with a home game against Silver Jubilee. Dan Jarman started the game in goal for Rangers, and within 2 minutes Deeping were ahead from an Ash Phillips goal. The score remained 1 – 0 until half time, when both managers made changes to give themselves a chance to look at all their players. Mac Paget replaced Dan Jarman in goal with Mark Burbridge, and Dan resumed a strikers role. This produced dividends as Dan Jarman doubled the lead with a header in the 68 minute. Silver Jubilee also uped the tempo, and tested “Burbs” in goal on more than one occasion, but he kepted them at bay for most of the second half. On 85 minutes Rangers again extended their lead when Smith crossed the ball but it went in via the far post. The visitors never gave up and they were rewarded with a consolation goal on 88 minutes, and the game finally finished 3 – 1

Season 2004/05

27 April Deeping Rangers Res. 3 Desborough Res 0

Deeping Rangers Reserves did better than their senior counterparts when they overcame Desborough Reserves in a game when both teams needed 3 points to move away from the r elegation zone. Rangers had the better of the chances in the first half, but they had to wait until 30 mins. to take the lead when Andy Ellis volleyed the ball in to the top of the visitors net. The second half continued in the same vain and although Ar Tarn created half chances they never tested the Deeping keeper. On 65 minutes Ash Phillips set up Gadsby for the second goal of the night to give Rangers a cushion. On 76 minutes Andy Ellis passed across goal for Smith who was unlucky not to score. In the 85 minute it Ash Phillips changed from provider to scorer to rap up the points for Deeping.

13 April Deeping Res lose their league cup final against Stotfold at St Neots 2-4

19 March Deeping Reserves 2 v Blackstones reserves 0

Team: Jarman , Asher – Powell [ rogers ] , Wilson , Burbridge , Holland , Ellis , Goode [ Phillips ] Gadsby , Ray , Tajar [ patterson ] , Kirk . Sub unused Robinson

Deeping were the slower of the two to settle with Blackstones forcing some early corners . Once Deeping settled they began to play some good flowing attacking football dominating the exchanges . Andy Ellis and Younis Tajer were constant thorns in the Blackstone defence . Deeping took the lead half way through the first half when a mazey run resulted in the impressive Tariq slotted the ball past the visiting goal keeper . Deeping continued to dominate the first half and should have turned around 2 or 3 goals ahead . After the break Blackstones upped their pace and put increased pressure on the Deeping defence . For all their pressure Blackstones only created 1 clear chance when a stunning one handed save from Jarman denied the Blackstones forward , Deeping doubled their lead when a James Goode through ball sent Andy Ellis clear to slam the ball past the Blackstones goal keeper .

22 February 2005 UCL Reserve Cup Semi Final Deeping 2 v 1 Thrapston

8 January 2005 Deeping 2 v 1 Newport Pagnell

Team; Jarman , Ray , Holland , Sylvester , Burbridge , Gadsby , Goode [Weston] , Quinney [ Asher – Powell ],Oldcorn , Ellis , Phillips [ Viaira] subs not used Rogers , Hindle

Deeping found the first half very difficult having lost the toss and battling into a gale force wind but battled very well to restrict their guests to one shot and one goal at the break and infact managed to carve out 2 or 3 half chances themselves. With the wind having died down somewhat for the second half Deeping found themselves having to increase their workrate to match the hard working visitors. The equaliser came on 70 minutes when a long clearance from Dan Jarman was latched on to by Andy Ellis who lobbed the goalkeeper from 20 yards . Both teams created half chances to win the game but on 89 minutes another long clearance from Jarman saw Andy Ellis let the ball drop over his shoulder before rifling in an unstobable shot from 25 yards past the visitors stranded goalkeeper . MAN OF THE MATCH – Ellis

11 December 2004 Desborough 1 v Deeping 2

Team – Jarman , Weston M ,Sylvester , Holland , Burbridge , Philips , Ellis [smith ] , Last , Ray , Gadsby , Weston D. Subs not used Hindle , Vaughan

It took 20 minutes for this game to settle down with both teams wasting several half chances . Deeping then took control but had to wait until the 48th minute to take the lead. Aaron Last fired home from 8 yards . Deeping extended their lead on 78 minutes when Ash Philips shot from the edge of the box and saw his shot rocket into the top corner . M Weston gave away penalty 5 minutes from time to give Desborough some hope . Deeping deservedly won the game to take their place in the semi – finals. Man of the Match – A. Last

4 December 2004 Deeping Rangers Res 4 Bourne Res 3

You certainly get value for money when you watch Rangers Reserves these days, and this latest encounter at Outgang Road was a local derby against near neighbours Bourne, and was no exception. It was a roller coaster ride of emotions for both sets of fans with 7 goals. Deeping started the brighter side and after 7 minutes they found themselves in front through Andy Ellis who scored from an accute angle. A minute later James Goode made it 2 – 0 with an easy header. Five minutes later Andy Ellis was brought down just outside the Bourne penalty area, and the resultant freekick was spilled by the visitors keeper. The loose ball was picked up by a Rangers player who passed across goal, but poor finishing meant that another opportunity was wasted and the ball finished in the side netting. Deeping dominated the game for the first 20 minutes, and Bourne had to wait until the 23 minute before they had their first real chance.Then they produced a good move that got the ball behind the Rangers defence but shot over the bar. Deeping broke from the goal kick and were soon up the other end where a good cross came in and the resulting header was well saved by the Bourne custodian for a corner. On the half hour it was Bourne’s turn for a corner, and the Rangers players failed to pick up the Bourne player lurking on the far post who knocked the ball in for 2 – 1. This goal seemed to rejuvinate the Rangers side and they surged forward, and a long range shot from their no.8 was tipped out by the Bourne keeper, and the second shot was pushed off for the first of 3 corners in succession for Deeping. Bourne started the second half on top and within 5 minutes the scores were even. Ten minutes later and sloppy defending from the home side let Bourne in again, and the hosts found themselves 2 – 3 down, having been 2 – 0 up in the first half. Neither side were prepared to give up, and a mix up in the Bourne defence was followed by an own goal to restore parity at 3 – 3 and to put Deeping back in the game. Two minutes later Andy Ellis was one on one with the Bourne keeper who did well to turn the ball round his post. From the resultant corner Ash Phillips got his head to the ball first for Deeping to put the ball in the net and win the game for the hosts 4 – 3. The home fans were relieved when the final whistle came, and Rangers Reserves are now unbeaten in 8 games.

13 November 2004 Deeping Rangers Reserves 1 v 1 Northampton Spencer

Both teams started evenly matched until the 19th minute when Andy Ellis picked the ball up, rounded his marker, and with his turn of speed left him standing. With only the keeper to beat Andy slotted the ball into the bottom right hand corner to open the scorer for Rangers. Following this goal Spencer uped the tempo of their game. On the half hour Deeping should have increased their lead but the ball was headed wide. Five minutes later Spencer had their first chance of the game but also shot wide. From the resultant goal kick Rangers had a similar chance at the other end, and should have done better, but the ball went just outside the post.In the second half Spencer started more spritely although again Deeping had the first chance of the second half when on 50 minutes the ball was crossed for the lurking Ellis, but this time he failed to connect properly with his head. Another chance was wasted by Rangers 15 minutes later after some good play, but the ball was headed low across the goal but some how managed to stay out. Just as it looked as though Deeping were going to take all 3 points the visitors scored with only 2 minutes of proper time remaining . Although the referee played over 5 minutes of stoppage time Rangers could not snatch the elusive winner, and the two sides had to settle for one point each. This was a game Deeping should have won emfatically, but their finishing needed alot to be desired.

Saturday 23rd October 2004 Bourne Town 1 v 1 Deeping Rangers res

Team . Derbyshire , Holland , Patterson , Sylvester , Burbridge , Smith [Gadsby ] , Weston , Goode , Quinney [ Last ] , Ellis , Phillips [ Sherman ] subs not used Hindle , Rogers

Deeping started slowly against Bourne with Bourne dominating the first 15 minutes . The Deeping Manager changed the shape and from that moment on Deeping dominated the rest of the first half . Bourne took the lead after 20 minutes when a controversal refereeing decision led to a Bourne penalty . Deeping knocked the ball out for a throw in following an injury to a Bourne player , unknown to 21 players the referee had given a free kick . The quickly taken free kick resulted in the Deeping captain giving away the penalty that resulted in player manager Glen Notley giving Bourne the lead . Deeping responded well taking the game to Bourne . Another contraversial refereeing decision resulted in a corner instead of the penalty that Deeping thought they should have had but Deeping disstisfaction was short lived when a Gavin Sylvester strike from the resulting corner produced the equalizer . Although Bourne had lots of possesion they failed to create any chances. Deeping missed a number of half chances but were foiled 10 minutes from time when Bourne goalkeeper Hurst pulled a wonder save from a point blank Goode header. Man of the match – Phillips

2 October 2004 Yaxley Res 2 v 1 Deeping Res

Jarman, Asher – Powell [ Vaughan ] , Rogers , Sylvester , Burbridge , Ellis , Beeby , Goode , Steffieri [ Lane ] , Sherman [Smith ] Phillips .

Deeping took the lead on 8 minutes with a well taken free kick slotted home by Andy Ellis . Deeping had further first half chances through Chris Beeby and Michael Sherman but the game turned on a hotly disputed penalty after 30 minutes were Martin Rogers allegedly brought down a home forward . Yaxley extended their lead when a defensive error was punished by the Yaxley centre forward .Deeping pushed hard for the equaliser but a missed Andy Ellis chance and a James Goode strike from 20 yards that stuck the cross bar were as close as Deping came to claiming a well deserved point. Man of the Match – Chris Beeby

Sat 25 September 2004 Northampton Sileby 4 v 1 Deeping Rangers

Team: Jarman, Asher-Powell [Vaughan]Quinney, Burbridge,Hindle [Last], Weston, Ray, Viaira, Beeby, Phillips [Sherman], Ellis

Following a number of late withdrawrals Deeping had to rearrange, but Goals within 4 minutes of the start and 20 seconds of the start of the second half really killed of their challenge. Sileby went 2 – 0 up after 20 minutes but once Deeping Settled they matched their hosts for long period . After 30 minutes good work from Andy Ellis resulted in a good finish from Ashley Phillips to bring the score back to 2 – 1 . Sileby’s forth goal came half way through the second period , but Deeping continued to battle until the final whistle . A man of the match performance from Matt Weston was matched by the effort and determination from Ash Phillips having his first start of the season . Sileby looked a good fotballing team that are likely to finish in the top 3.