Match Card

Saturday 6 October – Deeping Rangers 1 Woodbridge Town 2

Deeping entertained Suffolk side Woodbridge Town from the Ridgeons League in the First Round of the F A Vase. Just after the half hour Rangers Captain Lee Ellison had to go off injured, and he was replaced by Ben Daly. Scott Woods took the Captains arm band. The first half was fairly even with neither side making a breakthrough, but Deeping created the best chances in the first 45 minutes. On 54 minutes Rangers custodian Danny Bircham made a mistake when he failed to hold a shot from Paul Hart. The resulting ball trickled over the line and in to the net to the delight of the visiting fans. Deeping quickly retaliated and mounted an attack at the other end, resulting in Scott Woods hitting the post with the keeper well beaten. On 63 minutes Rangers made a further change taking off Mark Kingston and bringing on Kevin Ward. Bircham redeemed himself on 70 minutes when he dived full length to keep the ball out of the net. Shortly after Deeping made another change sending on Mark Lovelace in place of Scott Woods. This made a more attacking format to the Rangers line-up. Rangers continued to press forward looking for a goal and on 83 minutes Danny Matson equalised. The home fans went wild. It looked like extra time would be required, and Deeping pressed forward looking to kill the game off. In the dieing minutes of the game Woodbridge substitute Lee O’Neil popped up to score and spoil the party.

The Vine Man of the Match was Michael Stevenson.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Matson, J P Duncliffe, Scott Woods (Mark Lovelace 71 mins), Michael Stevenson, Matt Porter, Michael Goode, Mark Kingston (Kevin Ward 63 mins), Lee Ellison (Ben Daly 33 mins), Sam Bettinson, Danny Matson, David Cobb. Subs not used: Tuncay Korkmaz.

Tuesday 2 October – Bourne Town 0 Deeping Rangers 0

Rangers totally dominated this local derby at the Abbey Lawns. It was only poor finishing and the efforts of the Wakes custodian Ben Derbyshire that stopped the score line from being a massacre. As early as 4 minutes Danny Matson held off 2 defenders but put his shot wide with only Derbyshire to beat. Six minutes later Derbyshire turned a Matson effort round the post for a corner. On 13 minutes Mark Kingston ran the full length of the pitch with the ball and into the Wakes penalty area, and Derbyshire was on hand again to keep the ball out. Four minutes later another Matson effort was saved for a corner. The ball was delivered to Kingston who again had his shot saved. At this point Rangers were battering the Bourne defence, and Matson was creating chance after chance. On 26 minutes he held off 2 defenders but shot over the bar, and 7 minutes later Derbyshire saved a Matson shot at the near post. With 5 minutes remaining to half time Sam Bettinson played in Matson who passed across goal to David Cobb who hit the bar from 4 yards with an open goal beckoning. Straight after Cobb had another chance when he rounded the Bourne defence and was one on one with Derbyshire but he shot straight at the keeper. The second half continued in the same vain with the Deeping players pouring forward, and creating chances. On 48 minutes Kingston again made a long run out of the Deeping half and into the Bourne penalty area, but this time his shot was diverted for a corner. Two minutes later Cobb passed across the goal to Matson who only had to tap in, but again Derbyshire managed to save. On the hour mark Matson carved out another chance, and again this was saved for a corner. From the corner kick Sam Bettinson headed wide. Rangers made 2 substitutions as they tried to find a finishing touch, Andy Ellis came on for David Cobb, and Kevin Ward came on for Danny Matson. Deeping were unable to find a killer touch, and their best effort in the dieing minutes came when JP fed the ball to his captain Lee Ellison, but he headed over. With the game ending 0 – 0 it was a good point earned by Bourne Town and 2 more points lost by Rangers.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, J P Duncliffe, Scott Woods, Michael Stevenson, Matt Porter, Michael Goode, Mark Kingston, Lee Ellison, Sam Bettinson, Danny Matson (Kevin Ward 70 mins), David Cobb (Andy Ellis 65 mins) Subs not used: Ben Daly.

Saturday 29 September – Deeping Rangers 2 Raunds Town 1

A penalty in the 94th minute ensured Rangers took all 3 points from this fixture after the Shopmates took an early lead. Rangers first clear cut attempt came in the 22nd minute when Danny Matson headed against the post with an open goal beckoning. 3 minutes later Michael Stevenson also should have scored when he hit the post as well. With 5 minutes remaining until half time Deeping custodian Danny Matson failed to hold a cross, and the Raunds No 8 pounced on the loose ball to put it in the back of the net. In the last minute of the first half Deeping won a free kick 20 yards out, and with a chance to equalise Michael Stevenson blasted over the bar. Rangers made 3 changes in the second half as they went looking for an equaliser. Mark Kingston, Kevin Ward, and new signing Mark Lovelace were all introduced to the fray in place of David Cobb, Sam Bettinson and Scott Woods. This gave Deeping a more attacking look. All most straight away Deeping won a free kick. The ball was delivered into the box, but Lee Ellison headed over. With 8 minutes remaining Michael Stevenson scored to give the home fans some hope of taking something from the game. This was a time for Rangers to show their “never say die” attitude from the previous season, and the fans were not disappointed. On 94 minutes Danny Matson was up ended in the Raunds penalty box, and the referee pointed at the spot. Michael Stevenson kept his cool as he dispatched the spot kick into the back of the net to snatch victory from the face of defeat.

The Vine Man of the match sponsored by the Vine of the High Street Market Deeping was Matt Porter. Match sponsor was Maharanis Indian Restaurant of Deeping St James.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Matson, J P Duncliffe, Scott Woods (Mark Lovelace 75 minutes), Michael Stevenson, Matt Porter, Michael Goode, David Cobb (Mark Kingston), Lee Ellison, Sam Bettinson (Kevin Ward), Danny Matson, Andy Ellis Subs not used: Tuncay Korkmaz.

Tuesday 25 September – S & L Corby 2 Deeping Rangers 6

About a dozen fans made the trip to Occupation Road to watch Rangers take on the Foundrymen, and they were not disappointed Deeping started the game playing up the slope and Danny Matson had the ball in the net after 5 minutes. The goal was disallowed by the referee to everybody’s surprise, and we were all baffled as to the infringement. Two minutes later Matson was brought down in the S & L penalty area and this time the referee pointed straight at the spot. The Corby players surrounded the referee urging him to change his mind, but after consulting his assistant he stuck to his original decision. Rangers captain Lee Ellison dispatched the ball into the net to give the visitors an early lead. On the half hour Matson claimed his first of the night with a long range effort in off the cross bar, and his second 3 minutes later with a tap in at the far post. At this point Deeping were in total control, and an Andy Ellis shot was diverted round the post by S & L custodian Richard Lavin. The last 5 minutes of the first half was all action. Matson chipped the ball to the far post of the Corby goal with Andy Ellis running in but he could not quite reach the ball. The Foundrymen then broke on a counter attack and won a free kick just inside the Deeping half. The ball was delivered perfectly into the Rangers penalty area where an unmarked S & L player was on hand to volley into the back of the net. The second half saw Rangers playing down the slope. On 47 minutes Scott Woods fed the ball down the wing to J P Duncliffe who passed across the box to Lee Ellison whose header went wide. On the hour mark Tunge and Simmo made their first change of the night taking off David Cobb and sending on Mark Kingston and five minutes later Matson completed his hat-trick. On 70 minutes the Foundrymen pulled one back to make it 2 – 4, but Deeping still looked comfortable and were playing some good football. Two minutes later Tunge and Simmo made their second change of the night when they took off hat-trick hero Matson and introduced new signing Kevin Ward. Ward’s speed and agility immediately caused problems for the home side. On 79 minutes Deeping made their final substitution. Michael Goode came off and Ben Daly entered the fray. A minute later Danny Bircham punted the ball down the pitch and into the S & L penalty area. Ward chased after it and put pressure on the Corby keeper and managed to score on his debut. Rangers were not finished with the action. With a minute remaining Andy Ellis made a solo run with the ball into the S & L penalty area, cutting across goal, before unleashing his shot into the top corner. There was just enough time for the hosts to kick off again before the referee blew his whistle.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, J P Duncliffe, Scott Woods, Michael Stevenson, Matt Porter, Michael Goode (Ben Daly 79 mins), David Cobb ( Mark Kingston 60 mins), Lee Ellison, Sam Bettinson, Danny Matson ( Kevin Ward 72 mins) Andy Ellis. Subs not used: Mark Baines

Saturday 22 September – Wellingborough Town 0 Deeping Rangers 0

Most teams in the UCL would consider a draw at Wellingborough Town to be a good result, but poor finishing meant that this was 2 points lost for Rangers. They had enough chances to win this game and gain all 3 much needed points. The Doughboys nearly took the lead as early as the 5th minute when their no 11 broke loose but placed his shot wide. Rangers’ custodian Danny Bircham then had to make a good save to keep his team in the game. On 11 minutes Andy Ellis hit the Wellingborough bar, and the hosts struggled to clear the ball, but Rangers could not force the ball over the line. A minute later Deeping were in serious trouble when a back pass from Michael Goode to Danny Bircham was not cleared properly. Bircham only kicked the ball out as far as a Wellingborough player, but luckily the return ball went outside the post. On 33 minutes Rangers had another chance when David Cobb saw his shot turned round the post by the Doughboys keeper diving full length. Wellingborough had most of possession in the first half, but the second half was totally different with Rangers dominating play and having the most possession. Three minutes into the second half Mark Kingston hit a thunderbolt from close range, and John Hughes in the Doughboys goal did well to dive and turn the ball around the post. On 50 minutes Tung made a double substitution, taking off Lee Howarth and Mark Kingston and bringing on Matt Porter and Danny Matson. This was a surprise substitution as Howarth was having a good game, winning all the balls in the air, and also getting the tackles in where necessary. Five minutes later Hughes made a one handed save from Danny Matson but could not hold the ball. Unfortunately there was nobody on hand to mop up the loose ball. Wellingborough broke on the counter attack and won a corner at the other end. The ball was a good delivery but was then headed over. On the hour mark Bircham had to make a fine double save, first stopping a shot along the floor, and then stopping a long range effort With 5 minutes remaining Deeping had their final chance to steal the 3 points but Danny Matson headed over with the Doughboys keeper stranded in no mans land.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, J P Duncliffe, Scott Woods, Michael Stevenson, Lee Howarth ( Matt Porter 50 mins), Michael Goode, Andy Ellis, Lee Ellison, Sam Bettinson, Mark Kingston (Danny Matson 50 mins). David Cobb. Subs not used: Ben Daly, Nick Jones, Tuncay Korkmaz.

Saturday 8th September Deeping Rangers 2 Cogenhoe United 3

Deeping started this game against a side that were bottom the league with no points, and that had only scored 3 goals. Rangers seem to struggle against lower teams and this was no exception. On the quarter hour Deeping custodian Danny Bircham had to dive full length to his right to turn a shot round the post. A minute later David Cobb scored his first goal of the season to put the home side in front. The lead was short lived, and on 27 minutes Rob Foster equalised for the guests. Shortly after Rangers nearly retook the lead when a Cobb shot was deflected off a defender’s foot when it was going in. Cogenhoe keeper Darren Watts failed to hold the ball and the follow up shot was skyed. With the clock winding down to half time Cogenhoe took the lead with a second goal from Rob Foster. The action was not over, and in injury time Danny Matson was pushed in the Cogenhoe penalty area and the referee pointed straight at the spot. Michael Stevenson stepped up to take the penalty, and sent the keeper the wrong way to equalise. In the break Rangers made a change with Andy Ellis replacing Scott Woods at the back. On 58 minutes Danny Matson tried to round the Cogenhoe keeper but was dispossessed. The ball ran clear to Sam Bettinson but he failed to keep his shot down with the goal beckoning. On the hour Cobb was again in the thick of the action, making visiting keeper Watts dive full length to the left to palm the ball away. Two minutes later Rangers made their second change when Bettinson went off and Nick Jones came on. A minute later Cogenhoe saw a goal bound header saved when Danny Bircham leapt high to save with one hand, with the ball going into the top corner. On 65 minutes Deeping captain Lee Ellison had a free header but the ball went to high and over the bar. With 5 minutes remaining Tunge took Danny Matson off and introduced Ben Daly as they probed for a winner. On 88 minutes Rangers won a free kick just inside the Cogenhoe half. The kick was taken by Andy Ellis who saw his shot dip and hit the bar. With the final kick of the match Cogenhoe won a free kick just outside the Deeping penalty area. Rob Foster dispatched the ball and watched it fly into the net for his hat trick.

The Vine Man of the Match was David Cobb. The Match Ball Sponsor was Anglia Precision Engineering of Peterborough.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, J P Duncliffe, Scott Woods (Andy Ellis 45 mins), Michael Stevenson, Matt porter, Michael Goode, Mark Kingston, Lee Ellison, Sam Bettinson (Nick Jones 62 mins), Danny Matson (Ben Daly 85 mins). Subs not used: Lee Howarth, Tuncay Korkmaz.

Saturday 1 September 2007 Deeping Rangers 0 Dereham Town 0

Deeping Rangers welcomed Ridgeons Premier Division side to Outgang Road for this Preliminary Round of the FA Cup. The match was picked by The FA to as the tie of the round, as Deeping won 5 – 0 in the previous round, and Dereham won 12 – 0. The match was recorded so the highlights could be shown on the FA web site, and they were expecting lots of goals. Deeping Rangers dominated the game from the start, but due to poor finishing the scores remained at 0 – 0 at half time. On 65 minutes the visitors had a penalty appeal turned down when one of their players collided with Deeping Custodian Danny Bircham and went down,. The referee waved play on. Play went straight up the other end, and Mark Kingston tore down the wing and flashed the ball across goal with Andy Ellis waiting at the far post. Whilst Ellis stretched for the ball he was unable to reach it. Kingston was a constant thorn in the side of the Dereham defence all game as he repeatedly made penetrating runs wide into their half, before crossing the ball into the Dereham goalmouth. On 70 minutes it was Kingston again who this time set up Sam Bettinson. Kingston ran into the Dereham penalty area and crossed the ball to Bettinson who should have scored, but his shot hit the bar with the goal beckoning. Three minutes later Deeping had a scare when a Derehan player rounded Bircham but a defender was on hand to clear the ball. On 75 minutes Tunge made a substitution when he took off Sam Bettinson and brought on Nick Jones. Rangers continued to create chances and Shaun Marshall in the Dereham goal was the busier of the 2 custodians.On 83 minutes Danny Matson should have put Rangers ahead with the best chance of the game, but he fluffed his shot and the ball went feebly straight at the keeper. Deeping piled on the pressure looking for a winner and with 3 minutes remaining they won a free kick 20 yards out. The home supporters held their breath as Lee Ellison took the kick, but the ball was just over the bar. Deeping could not make a breakthrough, and now have to look forward to a replay at Aldiss Park on Tuesday 4 September. The Match Sponsor was Briggs Residential Estate Agency of Market Deeping.The mascot was Harry Briggs.

Saturday 25 August 2007   Stotfold                2          Deeping Rangers        1

This game is played on a baking hot day against a team that is made up of most of the Potton side of last year. Stotfold have the first attack of the day, which is followed by play going straight up the other end. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come with play end to end. On 12 minutes Steve Banks has a chance to put the visitors in front. His shot goes through a melee of legs, but Stotfold custodian Brad Gilham gathers easily. On 20 minutes Stotfold win a free kick 30 yards out. The kick is directed straight at goal, and Danny Matson does well to turn the ball round the post. Six minutes later a Stotfold player crosses the ball in front of the Rangers goal. It is not cleared properly and eventually the ball is slammed into the Deeping net by Paul Garrett. The lead is short lived as on the half hour Stotfold keeper Brad Gilham brings down David Cobb in the Stotfold penalty area, and the spot kick is duly dispatched by Rangers captain Lee Ellison. Rangers are in control at this point, and 5 minutes later they win a free kick 20 yards out from the Eagles goal following a foul on Banks. DavidCobb steps up for the kick but the ball flies high over the goal. Deeping then make a substitution. Martin Cundy, who is carrying an injury is taken off, and replaced by Lee Howarth. This gives more height to the Rangers back 4.Shortly after Stotfold again take the lead with a goal from Lee Allinson. Just before half time Tung takes off David Cobb, who is also carrying an injury and brings on Junior Camara.During the half time break the Deeping fans are left puzzling where the next goal will come from.The second half starts, and early on there is an off the ball incident which resulted in the Referee consulting his linesman and booking a playerfrom each side. On 75 minutes Deeping win a corner. The ball is delivered well by Mark Kingston, and Steve Banks leaps highest to head the ball goal wards. Stotfold keeper Brad Gilham gathers the ball up and another chance is missed. Rangers continue with the attack, and a minute later Banks returns the favour and sets up Kingston, but his shot is turned round the post by the athletic keeper.With 12 minutes remaining Tung makes a further substitution. Scott Woods is taken off, and his place is taken by Nick Jones.Both sides continue to battle until the very end. Right at the end Stotfold create a good chance but the shot goes wide.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, Matt Porter, Scott Woods (Nick Jones 78 mins),Steve Banks, Martin Cundy (Lee Howarth 40 mins), Michael Goode, Mark Kingston, Lee Ellison, Sam Bettinson, Andy Ellis, David Cobb ( Junior Camara 45 mins),. Subs not used. J P Duncliffe, Tuncay Korkmaz.

Tuesday 21 August Deeping Rangers 3 Holbeach United 0

Games between these two teams are usually fast and furious with more than their fair share of hard tackles, and this meeting was no different. Also Deeping were looking to kick start their league campaign, and build on their previous performance in the FA Cup. In the first half the action was end to end, although Rangers custodian Danny Bircham was the busier of the two keepers. Bircham was at his best marshalling the defence in front of him and repelling attacks from the Tigers time and again. The only goal of the first half came from Andy Ellis after 13 minutes to the delight of the home fans, but everybody agreed at half time that one goal would not be enough. The second half was 12 minutes old when the second goal came. Holbeach No6 made a nasty tackle on Deeping front man David Cobb and got injured in the process. The referee waited while the player received treatment before showing the yellow card. Cobb delivered the free kick into the Holbeach penalty box for former Tiger Martyn Cundy to score against his old club. Rangers dominated the second half repeatedly tearing the Holbeach defence apart as wave after wave of claret and blue surged forward. This was reminiscent of last seasons Deeping team and the home fans were enjoying it. Mark Baines making his return to the Rangers fold was introduced to the fray on the hour mark in place of Mark Kingston, and 5 minutes later Deeping were awarded a penalty. The spot kick was duly dispatched by Michael Stevenson to give the home side a 3 – 0 lead and the rout was complete. Rangers continued to create chances, and on 70 minutes Andy Ellis should have had a second. He stormed into the Holbeach penalty area with the ball, and the Tigers custodian Nicky Conroy dived at his feet to try to dispossess the Deeping striker. The ball fell loose, and although Ellis reacted quickest he was unable to score with an empty net beckoning. A minute later Michael Stevenson was taken off and Lee Ellison made a welcome return as he came on. The final Rangers substitution was on 81 minutes with Sam Bettinson going off and Nick Jones coming on. The Holbeach players were unable to cope with the speed of Jones as he repeatedly cut through their defence.

The Vine Man of the Match was Rangers custodian Danny Matson for his outstanding performance in the first half. The match ball was sponsored by Julie Bowell celebrating her 50th birthday, and she received a bouquet of flowers from the club.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, Matt Porter, Scott Woods, Michael Stevenson (Lee Ellison 71 mins), Martin Cundy, Michael Goode, Mark Kingston (Mark Baines 60 mins), Steve Banks, Sam Bettinson (Nick Jones 81 mins), Andy Ellis, Dave Cobb.

Saturday 18 August – FA CUP – Deeping Rangers 5 Lincoln Moorlands 0


FA Cup time again, and Rangers are at home to Lincoln Moorlands, who they played in the same fixture last year. They played them twice last year, coming from behind to knock them out of the FA Cup, and losing to them in the final of the Lincs Cup at Sincil bank.They are therefore hoping to beat them this time and put the record straight. Two of Rangers recent American signings were stars of the show, Steve Banks, who scored a hat trick on his debut and Nick Jones who came on as substitute. As early as 8 minutes Rangers had a scare when Danny Bircham punched the ball out to repel a Moorlands attack, but the ball was not cleared properly. It was eventually blasted over the bar. The first half continued with end to end football, with both sides unable to find the net. On 40 minutes Deeping won a free kick when Danny Matson was brought down 25 yards out from the Lincoln goal. David Cobb stepped up to take the free kick but it was tipped over the bar by Moorlands custodian Leigh Herrick. The visitors were the better team for the first 10 minutes of the second half, and should have scored after 3 minutes, but the shot went wide with only the keeper to beat. The action went straight up the other end when Danny Matson had a chance but he shot straight at the keeper.Rangers slowly turned the game in their favour, and on 52 minutes Matson ran into the Moorlands penalty area and was promptly hacked down just as he went to shoot. The referee pointed straight at the spot. Michael Stevenson stepped up for the spot kick and slammed the ball into the back of the net to the delight of the home fans.

A minute later Deeping doubled their lead when debutant Steve Banks scored his first of the day. At this point Rangers were in total control, and tearing the Moorlands defence apart. On the hour Dave Cobb was again causing problems for the Lincoln defence but his shot was straight at the keeper. Five minutes later Banks should have scored his second when he left the defenders standing and raced into the Moorlands penalty area.. Leigh Herrick did well to dispossess him of the ball, diving at his feet. Banks had to jump over the goalkeeper to avoid a collision. On 70 minutes Deeping made a double substitution when Scott Woods and Nick Jones came on for J P Duncliffe and Danny Matson. This change had instant results when Jones set up Banks for his second of the night. Two minutes later Sam Bettinson was wrestled to the floor and again the referee had no hesitation pointing to the penalty spot. Once again Michael Stevenson stepped up and dispatched the kick into the back of the net. Rangers then made another change taking of Bettinson and bringing on Tom Benjamin. Shortly after this Banks claimed his hat trick to complete the scoring and take Rangers into the next round where they will meet Dereham who edged past Fakenham Town 12 – 0. The match was sponsored by A G Brown Painting and Decorating

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, Matt Porter, Andy Ellis, Michael Stevenson, Martin Cundy, Michael Goode, J P Duncliffe (Scott Woods 70 mins), Steve Banks, Sam Bettinson (Tom Benjamin 74 mins), Danny Matson (Nick Jones 70 mins), David Cobb. Subs not used: Lee Howarth, Tuncay Korkmaz.

Tuesday 14 August Boston Town 1 Deeping Rangers 0

The Deeping faithful made the short trip to Tattershall Road hoping to see a repeat of last season’s epic battles between these two teams. On the night they came home disappointed as even though Boston were the better team neither side played the same football as last season. Deeping kicked off and were soon on the attack, and on 7 minutes Danny Matson shot wide. The football was then end to end and on 25 minutes a Boston player lobbed Deeping custodian Danny Matson only to see the ball ricochet of the Rangers bar. As the visitors struggled to clear danger, a Boston player was on hand to poke the ball into the net. Ten minutes later Deeping should have equalised when David Cobb hit the Boston bar, but the ball bounced over the goal. With a minute of actual time to go Rangers won a free kick just outside the Poachers 18 yard area. Andy Ellis took the kick and the ball dipped just over the bar when it looked as though it would go in the top corner of the goal. A minute later Deeping had another chance. Mark Kingston played a one two with Danny Matson. He passed the ball to Matson, and then ran on into space. Matson returned the ball, but Poachers custodian Steve Choppen tipped Kingston’s shot over the bar. In the second half Rangers seemed to lose their way. Boston controlled the midfield very well, and Deeping were unable to create any real chances. Tung made 3 changes during the second half as Deeping tried to break Boston down. On 60 minutes Tom Benjamin came on for Sam Bettinson. Fifteen minutes later Matt Porter replaced Lee Howarth, and finally with 10 minutes remaining Andy Ellis went off and Ben Daly came on. With 5 minutes remaining David Cobb had a shot blocked from close range with the ball going off for a corner, but Rangers were unable to make a breakthrough and Boston took all 3 points on the night. Rangers seem to be missing the experience their captain Lee Ellison who is still recovering from a broken arm he picked up in the Lincolnshire Cup Final last season.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, Lee Howarth (Matt Porter 75 mins), Michael Goode, Scott Woods, J P Duncliffe. Andy Ellis (Ben Daly 80 mins), Michael Stevenson, Sam Bettinson (Tom Benjamin 60 mins), Danny Matson, Mark Kingston, David Cobb. Subs not used: Wayne Oldaker.

Saturday 11 August Deeping Rangers 1 Long Buckby 1

Deeping Rangers started the defence of their League title with a home game against Long Buckby. The match is sponsored by Steve Anthony of Manor Fisheries, Manor Way, Deeping St James.

Long Buckby bring a large travelling contingent to watch the game on a baking hot sunny day. Deeping dominate the first half, and on 15 minutes Michael Stevenson misses a free header. He has another chance 15 minutes later. The ball is played in to the Buckby penalty area but this time Stevo shins it. On 35 minutes JP Duncliffe delivered the ball to Danny Matson, but he heads over. On 54 minutes Matson heads against the post but Stevo is there to follow up and force the ball into the net to give the home side the lead. At this point Deeping are dominating proceedings and 2 minutes later Mark Kingston makes a long run into the Long Buckby half and passes across goal for Danny Matson who is also running in, but the keeper intercepts the ball. On 70 minutes Long Buckby have a goal disallowed for offside. A minute later Ranger’s win a free kick. The ball is delivered onto the head of Sam Bettinson, and Buckby custodian Martin Murguson does well to leap full length to fingertip the ball around the post. Another chance was lost. On 75 minutes Deeping make a substitution. Kingston is taken off to be replaced by Andy Ellis. Just as the Deeping supporters think their team will take all 3 points Long Buckby equalise. The ball is headed up into the air by Michael Goode, and as it comes down a Buckby player jumps highest to head home. On 90 minutes Long Buckby are reduced to 10 men when Darren Harmon was sent off with a straight red card. All game he had been goading Ranger’s Danny Matson, and both players had been booked 5 minutes earlier. Deeping poured forward in stoppage time looking for an equaliser but they were unable to break through.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham, Scott Woods, Michael Goode, J P Duncliffe, Michael Stevenson, Danny Matson, Sam Bettinson, David Cobb, Lee Howarth, Ben Daley, Mark Kingston (Andy Ellis 75 mins) Subs not used: Matt Porter, Tom Benjamin, Wayne Oldaker, Nick Jones.

Saturday 4 August Deeping Rangers 2 Peterborough Sports 0

This was the last pre-season friendly for the First Team and it was another battle of the Champions as they entertained Peterborough Sports, winners of the Peterborough League Premier Division last season. It is also a welcome return to Outgang Road for previous Manager Pat O’Keefe as he now manages Peterborough Sports. The game is controlled by local referee Reg Parker and it is played on a hot sunny day with a warm stiff breeze. Reserve player Eliot Dempsey, making his first First Team appearance puts Rangers in front with a goal on 25 minutes. Three minutes later Mark Kingston hit the Sports post with a 30 yard volley. On 31 minutes the Sports keeper made a big mistake when he passed the ball out from his goal to Mark Kingston. The Rangers player tried to chip the keeper but the custodian managed to get a hand to the ball. Deeping dominated the match throughout, and the visitors only created one clear chance in the game. With 20 minutes remaining Rangers doubled their score when Sam Bettinson flicked the ball on and it was diverted into the net by a Sports player for an own goal. The game finished 2 – 0.

31 July Deeping Rangers 1 Stamford Town 3

Stamford were soon on the attack and took the lead on 8 minutes, Leon Mettam turned in the Rangers box and fired home. The lead was short lived and 7 minutes later Deeping restored parity when the ball was headed across the Stamford goal for Danny Matson to head in. Stamford continued to dominate the first half and won numerous corners. The score remained even at half time. The second half was a different story and Rangers were soon on the attack. On 50 minutes Matson delivered the ball into the Stamford box for Sam Bettinson to head wide. Five minutes later play was at the other end and the Stamford No 14 clipped the Deeping keeper with the goal at his mercy but the ball went wide. On 70 minutes Rangers threatened again when David Cobb picked the ball up in his own area, made along run down the right wing and passed the ball in to the middle for Benjamin, who shot wide with only the keeper to beat. Deeping kept up the pressure and 2 minutes later new signing Lee Howarth leapt above everybody in the Stamford box to head the ball against the bar. On 75 minutes Tony Battersby hit a thundering volley to give Stamford the lead, and in the dieing minutes Andy Toyne hit their third. Rangers were the better side in the second half, and played some good football and would have scored more but for poor finishing.

Wednesday 25 July Holwell Sports 1 Deeping Rangers 1

On 10 minutes Thomas Benjamin should have put Rangers ahead but his shot hit the post. Rangers dominated the first half and battered the opposition, creating numerous chances but they could not convert them into goals. On the half hour Danny Matson had his shot palmed onto the bar by the Holwell keeper, and 5 minutes later Matson again carved out another chance for himself but shot straight at the keeper. As half timed loomed it looked like it would be 0 – 0 at the break, but Holwell mounted an attack and their No 9 rounded Danny Bircham to put the ball in to the back of the net. Rangers made changes at half time taking off Danny Bircham, and putting Jamie Lowndes in goal. In the second half Holwell Sports dominated the midfield, and both sides continued to create chances, but neither side could make a break through. On the hour Michael Stevenson saw his shot turned round the Holwell post as he failed to get any power behind the ball. Five minutes later Dave Simpson made further changes to his Deeping team as he took off Ben Daly and Mark Kingston, and introduced Reserve Team players Wayne Oldaker and Matt Ayliff to the fray. At the same time Tom Benjamin swapped to the other side of the field. On 75 minutes Deeping won a free kick and Ayliff delivered the ball to Benjamin who rounded the keeper but the ball was intercepted by a Holwell player. Just as we thought Rangers were not going to find the net Benjamin again broke through into the Holwell penalty area and was pulled back. The referee had no hesitation pointing to the spot and the penalty kick was duly dispatched by Michael Stevenson. Supporters on both sides agreed a draw was a fair result, and both teams had a good work out.

Deeping Rangers: Danny Bircham ( Jamie Lowndes 45 mins), J P Duncliffe, Andy Ellis, Martin Cundy, Matt Porter, Michael Stevenson, Thomas Benjamin, Ben Daly (Matt Ayliff 65 mins), Sam Bettinson, Danny Matson, Mark Kingston (Wayne Oldaker 65 mins).

Saturday 21 July Deeping Rangers 5 Deeping Sports 0

This is a long awaited local derby between 2 Championship winning teams. Rangers having won the United Counties League Premier Division last season, and Sports winning the Peterborough League Division 1 gaining promotion to the Premier Division for the first time. Both teams have new players on show, and Rangers are soon on the attack with David Cobb shooting over the bar after 10 minutes, with the goal at his mercy. Two minutes later Rangers hit the post from a free kick as they continued to apply the pressure. Rangers continued to dominate the early exchanges and in the 29th minutes the deadlock was broken with a goal from Andy Ellis which just dipped under the bar. Three minutes later Rangers won a corner and it was Michael Stevenson who scored to make it 2 – 0. David Cobb was a constant nuisance to the Sports defence and he carved out another chance for himself but again saw the ball fly over the bar. With 10 minutes remaining it was Sam Bettinson’s turn to score as he headed home to make it 3 – 0. Rangers were in total control at this point and a minute later Danny Matson claimed his first to extend the lead. Five minutes into stoppage time he nearly scored a second when he picked the ball up just inside his half and passed two Sports plauyers before shooting over the bar. The second half continued in the same vain and a minute after the restart Matson claimed his second with an overhead bicycle kick into the back of the Sport’s net. The two teams made various changes in the second half, and even saw substituted Rangers players playing for the other side as Sports were short on substitute. This made for a very interesting game but neither side could make any further breakthrough and the score finished 5 – 0 to Rangers.